Delicious Mountain Wines
Our chalet wines & the stories behind them
Great wine is an integral part of any luxury catered chalet holiday. But here at Delicious Mountain we've taken it to the next level. In search of the perfect wine selection for our guests, we have gone to the wine producers directly, visiting their wineries and vineyards to source the perfect complements for our famous chalet catering.
Sourced Directly from the Growers
Since travelling across France to meet the producers and taste the wines at source, we have been refining our wine list year-on-year. We think the 2019-2020 selection is our best to date.
In each case these are small, independent growers farming just a few hectares of lovingly-nurtured vines. In each case, the grapes these vines yield are organic and/or biodynamically farmed.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc grown on young vines. Produced with no added sugars and with the skins left on the grapes, this wine has natural acidity. It is pale in colour with aromas of pineapple, lemon, green apple and sweet gooseberry. Mr. Boyer informs us that this is his best vintage yet! The wine takes its name from his eldest daughter.
- A blend of Chardonnay and Viognier grapes aged 12 months in new oak barrels. This is a complex white with hints of pineapple and just a touch of oak.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes, this wine is produced in the Loire region of France. The small production, organic vineyard wants you to enjoy this vintage because, due to terribly unusual weather conditions in early 2017, there's not a lot of it! We think it has a certain Sancerre quality about it, very light and delicate in flavour that will pair excellently with fish.
- 100% Chardonnay from the South Burgundy. The Cave de Vignerons Chalonnaise is a collective of passionate winemakers. This chardonnay is oaky in the nose with hints of acorn, baked apple, lemon and orange on the palate.
- 100% Mauzac grapes grown on 60-year-old vines. Elegant, complex and dry. Aromas of green apples, pears, citrus fruits, almonds and white flowers. Jack and Margaret bought Clos Rocailleux in 2011 after Jack got his degree in Viticulture. We met them when we spent a summer in the Gaillac region and loved their enthusiasm and passion as well as their wines!
- 100% picpoul grapes. Picpoul literally translates to ‘sting the lips' which refers to the grapes eye wateringly high acidity. This wine is bright and pale yellow with very fresh aromas of white flowers, acacia and hawthorn. It has a fresh and saline palate but with a slight roundness for a Picpoul, this is a ‘gourmet' Picpoul.
- 100% Chenin Blanc. The organic grapes are left longer on the vines to sun-ripen making the wine more golden in colour and sweeter in taste. The nose is fresh, exotic fruits, particularly pineapple and the palate leaves a perfect synthesis of sweet and citrus.
- 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec grapes. The nose evolves around frank aromas of black berried fruits and spices. On the palate it's rich and velvety.
- Blend of Syrah, Carigan and Grenache, 30% of which is aged in oak barrels. Medium bodied, elegant and slightly spicy. Musky, mossy aromas. This has been on our Carte Du Vin every season it's just so, so good.
- 100% Pinot Noir. A lighter red with fruity notes. The Domaine Delmas, at the foot of the Pyrenees and close to Carcassonne, has been in the family for three generations. Production switched to organic methods in 1986 and it has remained this way since. Today, there are 31 hectares of vineyards and nearly 160,000 bottles sold each year in France and internationally.
- 50% Tannat and 50% Cabernet Sauvignon grape varieties. As expected from the tannat grape, this big wine delivers in tannins. It is produced by a small, family run vineyard in the South West of France and has been certified organic since 2013.
- A blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. This wine was an absolute crowd pleaser last season! Sold to us by one of our suppliers (Le Verre Gourmand – excellent wholesaler by the way) as a fireside cuddle in a glass. This is a very accurate description, a rich, deep red wine with a rounded taste.
- 100% Cabernet Franc. A soft and round wine from the beautiful village of Bourgueil. This cabernet franc is bursting with red currants, cranberries and a dash of crushed pepper on the finish. Awesome with barbecued meats and great company.
- We want to welcome you to the chalet with a little something locally produced. This crémant is made close to Chambery from Jacquère grapes. We serve it with a few Alpine 'myrtilles' (blueberries) in the bottom like a Savoie Style Kir Royale.
- This crémant is produced using Chardonnay grapes from the champagne region and using traditional methods. It is another from our lovely friend Mr.Boyer and in blind tastings it has frequently beaten big house champagnes.
- 100% Glera grapes. This is our one deviation from France across the border into Italy because you just cannot beat a good prosecco! This example has won awards. It is super fizzy (or ‘moussy') and it is great as an aperitif or mixed into an aperol spritz.
The only bottle we charge extra for, this champagne can be purchased from a DM team member. 60% Pinot Meunier, 25% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Noir grape blend. This small production vineyard, established in 1955, produces a multi award winning champagne that we think beats the socks off the big champagne houses.
€25.00 per bottle
Jack's dream became a reality in 2011 when he found Clos Rocailleux...Visit website
Véronique Günther Chéreau
For Véronique and Aurore, wine producing is very much a family business... Visit website
Château Haut Monplaisir
Their estate covers 30 acres of organic vines... Visit website
The Delmas family have been producing organic wines since 1986... Visit website
Paul Boyer Wines
Boyer wines aim to express naturally the character of the grape variety... Visit website