Delicious Mountain Wines
Our chalet wines & the stories behind them
Great wine is an integral part of any luxury catered chalet holiday. But here at Delicious Mountain we've taken it to the next level. In search of the perfect wine selection for our guests, we have gone to the wine producers directly, visiting their wineries and vineyards to source the perfect complements for our famous chalet catering.
Sourced Directly from the Growers
Since travelling across France to meet the producers and taste the wines at source, we have been refining our wine list year-on-year.
In each case these are small, independent growers farming just a few hectares of lovingly-nurtured vines. In each case, the grapes these vines yield are organic and/or biodynamically farmed.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc grown on young vines. Produced with no added sugars and with the skins left on the grapes, this wine has natural acidity. It is pale in colour with aromas of pineapple, lemon, green apple and sweet gooseberry. Mr. Boyer informs us that this is his best vintage yet! The wine takes its name from his eldest daughter.
- A blend of Chardonnay and Viognier grapes aged 12 months in new oak barrels. This is a complex white with hints of pineapple and just a touch of oak.
- 100% picpoul grapes. Picpoul literally translates to 'sting the lips' which refers to the grapes eye wateringly high acidity. This wine is bright and pale yellow with a fresh bouquet of white flowers, acacia and hawthorn. It has a fresh and saline palate but with a slight roundness making this a 'gourmet' Picpoul.
- . A Muscadelle, Sauvignon and Sémillon grape blend. This wine is pale yellow and is distinguished by notes of passion fruit, mango and hints of grapefruit. It is rich and creamy in texture.
- . Made with Vermentino and Viognier grapes. A very fresh wine from the foothills of the Pyrenees, between the mountain and the sea. This wine has aromas of peach and lemon.
- Blend of Syrah, Carigan and Grenache, 30% of which is aged in oak barrels. Medium bodied, elegant and slightly spicy. Musky, mossy aromas. This has been on our Carte Du Vin every season it's just so, so good.
- A blend of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. This wine was an absolute crowd pleaser last season! Sold to us by one of our suppliers (Le Verre Gourmand - excellent wholesaler by the way) as a fireside cuddle in a glass. This is a very accurate description, a rich, deep red wine with a rounded taste, bold on flavour but soft on tanin.
- 100% Syrah. On the fruit, raspberry and the spices, pepper. This is a very quaffable, soft and aromatic wine. Guy Capmartin, a descendant of a family of winemakers, decided to create his own estate. The first vintage was born in 1987. Over the years the estate has grown and turned to organic farming since 2012.
- 100% Pinot Noir. A great, easy drinking Pinot Noir with delicate aromas of redcurrants and marjoram. The vineyards are located close to the Pyrenean mountains on limestone slopes, the land offers the best conditions for ripening the grapes.
- A blend of Syrah, Grenache and Carignan grapes which have been aged 12 months in oak barrels. A bouquet of dark cherry, chocolate, oregano and liquorice this red is powerful, soft and rich with a very elegant end of mouth.
- Ingredients: water, malted barley, simcoe and centennial hops and yeast. We appreciate, this is quite a deviation from usual chalet protocol but we think this is the best drink to serve alongside our Thai curry. With a nose of tropical fruits and juicy orange flavours, it is a refreshing, light and quaffable beer. Northern Monk is an independent brewery based in Leeds and their beers frequently win awards.
- This crémant is produced using Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc grapes from the Loire valley and using 'methode traditionelle'. A great easy drinking alternative to champagne. A pale yellow wine with tiny bubbles, this Crémant de Loire is rounded and delicate with fine, nervy complex nose. It evolves gracefully across the palate with notes of fresh peaches and pear.
- 100% Glera grapes. Another slight deviation from France across the border into Italy because you just cannot beat a good prosecco! This example has won awards. It is super fizzy (or 'moussy') and it is great as an aperitif or mixed into an aperol spritz.
The only bottle we charge extra for, this champagne can be purchased from a DM team member. 60% Pinot Meunier, 25% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Noir grape blend. This small production vineyard, established in 1955, produces a multi award winning champagne that we think beats the socks off the big champagne houses. €25.00 per bottle
- (V) = Suitable for vegans
Jack's dream became a reality in 2011 when he found Clos Rocailleux...Visit website
Véronique Günther Chéreau
For Véronique and Aurore, wine producing is very much a family business... Visit website
Château Haut Monplaisir
Their estate covers 30 acres of organic vines... Visit website
The Delmas family have been producing organic wines since 1986... Visit website
Paul Boyer Wines
Boyer wines aim to express naturally the character of the grape variety... Visit website