Chocolate Smarties Cake Recipe From the Delicious Mountain Chalet Company
I used to just make this for a Birthday, but it works well for any occasion! Especially groups with children. It is just a glorified Victoria sponge really, and of course you could decorate it with anything on top; Maltesers, M&M's or white chocolate drops.
1. Heat the oven to 170°C
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy
3. Add the eggs one at a time and after each egg, beat in a spoonful of flour too, to stop the cake mixture from splitting
4. Sift the remaining flour and cocoa into the bowl and mix until blended, then add the milk and mix
5. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean from the middle. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning out of the tin to cool on a wire rack
6. To make the buttercream, put the butter in a bowl and sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder onto it and combine well
7. For the chocolate ganache; heat the cream in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
8. Take off the heat add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
9. To assemble, once the sponge has cooled completely; cut the cake in half so you have 2 discs. Spread the buttercream on one side, then the jam on the other and sandwich together and put on a large cake plate
10. Put the chocolate ganache on top, then sprinkle with the Smarties
Makes 12-16 Slices
For the cake
265g butter at room temperature
265g caster sugar
5 medium eggs
230g self raising flour
45g cocoa powder
100g Mini Smarties
For the chocolate buttercream
75g unsalted butter at room temperature
175g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
For the chocolate ganache
100ml double cream
200g plain chocolate chopped or drops
20 cm loose-bottomed cake tin, buttered and lined with greaseproof paper
This cookbook was written by Delicious Mountain based on actual recipies used in our chalets.